Co-Publishing Agreements


The money you receive as an advance in a co-publication agreement must be returned to the paying person (i.e. refunded). In the typical 50/50-co-publishing deal, you are entitled to 75 cents of every dollar earned, since half of the author`s share of the receipts and half are considered publishers (i.e. your 50 cents as an author and 25 cents as a publisher, since you have allocated half of the publisher). The company collects your 75 cents of every dollar and deposits it with the advance paid to you, and you won`t see any further income from it until your full advance is repaid. They receive the remaining 25 cents of every dollar. In co-publication agreements, an important decision between the different publishers who own a song in common could be which publishing house “manages” the song exclusively. It is because the administration is a valuable right, as if a publisher were reaping all the income from a song, that the company then amounts to interest on those that have been collected up to the date on which it must pay royalties to the other publisher and authors. Licensing is why an exclusive administrator is a good idea. Part One: The Minimum Publishing Requirement and Options A very common type of music editing agreement that offers music publishers is co-publishing. This article examines three of its important provisions: duration, minimum release requirement, and options.

(3) Co-publication agreement (“co-pub”): The co-publishing agreement (“Co-Pub”) is perhaps the most common publishing contract. Under this agreement, the songwriter and music publisher “Co-owners” are the copyright on the musical compositions. The author becomes a “co-editor” (i.e. B co-owner) with the music publishing house on the basis of an agreed distribution of royalties. The songwriter assigns an agreed percentage to the publisher, normally (but not always) a 50/50 split. Thus, the author _ on behalf of the publisher transfers to the publisher, but retains the entire share of the author. In a typical “75/25 co-pub”, the author gets 100% from the songwriter and 50% from the publisher, or 75% of the total copyright, with the remaining 25% going to the publisher. Thus, if royalties are due and payable, the author/co-publisher receives 75% of the revenue, while the publishing house retains 25%. [8] In the next section, we examine the possible administrative possibilities within a co-publication contract, as well as a review of sub-publication. It is important to know that each individual has different requirements, so it is best to consult a lawyer or a qualified professional if you choose the best way to proceed for a particular musician.